Tuesday, October 8, 2013

It's a Brother, It's a Brother!

After we told Jake he was going to be a big brother, we had lots of conversations about the new baby.  In every single one, Jake made it VERY clear he wanted a baby brother and NOTHING to do with a baby sister.  Stephen and I wanted a healthy baby, of course, but were also hoping for another little boy.  We have everything we need for a boy and since the kids were going to be further apart then we had originally planned, I knew having a brother would help them still be close. 
 
However, with the way the pregnancy was going, I was SURE it was a girl!  The heart rate was higher than Jake's had ever been.  I had been sick a little in the evenings with Jake, but really felt great most of the time.  This time that was definitely not the case, I was sick to my stomach from the moment I got out of bed until I went to sleep, and even then I felt awful.  I kept thinking, Jake is going to be so upset when we tell him!
 
 
We were hoping to find out around 11 weeks what we were having.  Since I would be 35 for half the pregnancy and had a miscarriage history, my OBGYN gave us the option of having some early blood work done that would screen for any chromosomal complications in the baby and it would also tell us the gender.  Our insurance approved the test, so we chose to have it done.  (Not that the results would change anything for us, but when we miscarried we were told it was most likely a genetic/chromosomal occurrence...and I'm not going to lie, the earlier we could find out if it was a he or she, I was in!)  Now, this test turned into a crazy ordeal.  I went and had blood drawn and it was sent to the lab.  A few days later the nurse called and told me the lab had dropped the sample and I needed to come back to have blood drawn again!  I hate, hate, hate needles so I was not excited to go back, but back I went.  They sent the sample off to the lab and we hoped to have the results when we went in for my checkup at 13 weeks.  Well, that day we found out that the machine malfunctioned in the lab with my sample in it...so guess what, no results AND they had to draw blood again!  My OB was just as frustrated as I was and personally called the lab about having to go through the process a third time!  We waited and waited for the results and I got the call one afternoon at work from the nurse.  Baby Tyler was perfect and was a BOY!  I was SHOCKED, but of course so happy!  I called texted Stephen and he called me almost immediately.  "It's a boy!" was all I could say.  I could not wait for Stephen to get home so that night so that we could tell Jake!
 
 
As luck would have it, Jake came home from school that day and started running a low fever :(  But we still captured this precious moment of Jake finding out our news, I think he was just a little bit excited!  
 
 
The day that we found out Jake was a boy, we went shopping and bought an outfit and toy.  I wanted to continue that tradition with Jake.  So, even though it was late and he wasn't feeling great, we made a quick trip to Target so that Jake could buy something for his brother.
 
 
So many choices...

 This one looks good...
 It's a winner, a new car for baby brother.
He also picked out a onesie that says "Best Little Bro" on it, but somehow I didn't get a picture of it for some reason. 

We had a name picked out for a boy, but wanted to think about for a few days just to be sure.  We tossed around a few other ideas, but of course stuck with our original choice...Cody Glenn Tyler.  Glenn is Stephen's Dad's middle name and Cody is just a name that we both loved.  Jake has offered some very funny other ideas as names for his brother, but he always gets outvoted :)  His two favorites are Squigee and in true 4 year old boy fashion, Harry Stinky Pooh.  Oh my!  And soon, I will be even more outnumbered in my own house.  Guess it's a good thing I love being a boy mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment