Sunday, June 16, 2013

Last Day of School

It's hard to believe this school year is already over, as always, it flew by!  This year was a little different for Jake and I...since I teach the 3 year old class at his school, he wound up being in my class.  We were hoping our 3 year old program would be big enough to split into older/younger 3's, but it wasn't.  While, it sounds wonderful, to have your own child in your class, it can also be challenging at the same time.  I think Jake and I managed the best we could...some days were great, some were tough, but overall he had a great year at school.  I love how much he loves to learn and how excited he gets when he learns new things.  He is such a smart little boy and loves his friends and to make them laugh.  Here are just a few things I want to remember about Jake's school year:  he can recognize all his letters upper and lower case, naming phonics for all, he recognizes all his numbers (perk of being a coach's kid) and can count easily to 50, he knows all his shapes&colors, can sort by size, shape, and color and can complete simple patterns, he can recognize his name, write his first name easily and write his last name with a little prompting, and most of all, my child can READ, he can recognize about a dozen sight words and is beginning to sound words out phonetically.  He loves books!  He can draw a complete person, but drawing isn't his most favorite thing.  He will do crafts when asked, but would rather be in blocks/transportation, sand and water, or the dramatic play area.  He can cut shapes easily and stays on the line when cutting.  He is a perfectionist, and is discouraged if things don't look 'perfect' to him (I have no clue where he gets this!)  He can focus easily on tasks and needs to finish his job/task...he gets unsettled if he is called away before he feels he is 'finished' with his job. He loves to help his teachers and friends and is very empathetic towards others. 
 

This was Jake on his first day of school vs the last week of school.  He grew over 2 inches during the school year!

 
 
On our last full day of school, we had an end of the year pizza party/mini graduation for our class.   The nice thing about being Jake's teacher is that I get to be with him every day...the downside is that on special days like this I have to be the teacher instead of Jake's mom.  I don't really get to enjoy the day with him.  Thankfully, Stephen's exam schedule allowed him to be at school for the pizza party with Jake.  (He wasn't able to come to the spring program on the last day of school.)
 
 
The class patiently waiting for pizza...and lots of moms taking pictures :)

 
Happy boy!
 

 
He was so excited that Daddy was able to come to school for a special day!
 
Selfie's on Daddy's phone
Fun pictures with his friends:James, Marcie, and Caleb


 
Jake and Daddy
The big Spring Program was the next day, but Rebecca and I do a little mini-graduation for just our class.  Not all of our kids return for pre-K, so for some them, it is their last year in our program.  This year we did something new and gave a special award to each student.  Jake received the 'Most Independent' award from Ms. Rebecca, she said it was a no-brainer :)

He wouldn't pose for a picture for Stephen.

The 3 year old class: The Bible Bunch

 
My little goof ball!

 
Here are Jake's diploma and certificate ( I know they are sideways, I tried to turn the pics, but blogger keeps flipping them, so I gave up!)


The next day, Wednesday the 5th, was our last day of school.  We don't have a normal school day, but each class performs songs and then we have a cake and punch reception.  Since it is also finals weeks at West, Stephen wasn't able to be there.  Grandma and Grandpa came to watch Jake perform and also video his performance.  The video is too long to upload here though.  Since I was in full teacher mode, I didn't take any pictures of the morning, but Grandma took this picture of Jake and I after the program.  I am so proud of my little guy and I know he is going to love pre-K next year! 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment